Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy 2009!


Another new year has begun. I've never really liked New Year's Day very much. I much prefer New Year's Eve because it is still in December. New Year's Day means we are now in January and I don't like that one bit. Why? Because January is closer to June and July than December is. I don't like summer. Not a bit. I take after my mom in that regard. There's just something unnerving to me about the approaching summer season, which is why starting a new year doesn't thrill me. My favorite time of the year is when fall arrives and I know summer is behind us. The turning over of a new calendar means I'm once again facing summer rather than leaving it behind. Does that make sense to anyone out there other than my mom and I?


Anyway, what I do like about a New Year is the promise of all that is to come, all the wonder and possiblities that are open to everyone. I like to think about what the new year will bring for my family and I, what dreams we'll realize this year, what happy memories we'll make, what new experiences we'll discover, what the days will hold for us. I hope and pray that 2009 will be filled with happiness and wonder, God willing.


Tomorrow morning our family will leave bright and early to start our year off trying to realize the resolution we put into motion one year ago. It was my 2008 New Year's resolution to prepare myself for the WDW half-marathon and I guess I'm as prepared now as I can be at this point. In my mind I'm thinking there was more I should have done, or things I should have done differently, but at this late date I'm out of training time and need to go with what I've got and give it my all. Whatever comes my way I'll battle it the same as I've battled everything else all these months, including the stomach bug that just torpedoed through our home over the last couple days. That sure put a wrinkle in our training plans, no doubt!


But the race is more about finishing for me than competitiveness anyway. I never planned any grand illusions of a great time or any craziness like that. My only goals for this race are to finish and not to be the last to finish. James assures me I won't be the last as there will be people doing nothing but walking the race whereas I'm trained to run most of it, again God willing! James has a time goal in mind and he's so well trained (and competitive) that I'm sure he'd be disappointed to get less than what he's after. Me, I just don't want to get swept up! I want to finish the thing, get my Donald Duck medal, and have tangible proof that I am no longer the fat girl that Lance Miller tormented in high school. Deep down I think that is the monkey on my back during this whole thing. Completing this race is my moment to say I have buried that fat girl, I am not her, and I can release her once and for all.


So, to all those out there who, like me, carry too heavy a burden of who they are/were/hope to be, I'll be out there running for us on Saturday, January 10th, hoping that 2009 frees each of you from that demon. Life is too short to keep carrying my fat girl memories on my back. Truthfully, she weighs too much, and I'm not talking poundage.


Happy New Year!




1 comment:

Melissa said...

You GO, girl! I'm in awe of you and your dedication to this goal...I can't wait to hear how it goes, and to see a picture of you at the finish line! Your views of the New Year match up perfectly with mine - because, as you know, I dislike the hot, sticky southern summers as well! But the New Year does bring a lot of promise and a fresh start. I hope y'all have FUN this next week & hopefully when you get back & are rested, we can plan a weekend get together!