Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Loopy, lazy, listening, or livin' la vida loco?

All of these adjectives ran through my brain today as I attempted to label what I was feeling in regards to my days' workout.

As I woke this morning I was a bit unsure of what all I would do for exercise today. I really wanted to get 4 miles of training in and I knew I had an hour aqua class to teach at noon. Other possibilities included walking with Bethany at morning PE before school and attending a spin class. All these workout plans must mean I'm a little loopy, eh?

With a drizzle coming down the morning PE was out. No big deal as that's just a mile of light walking anyway. Due to the drizzle, though, I crossed off the 4 miles of training since that would be at the one mile track and I wasn't interested in doing that in the rain.

So I came home. Hence the laziness.

Then I told myself that I really, truly was still groggy from not sleeping well last night so I aimed to take a little nap. That's where the listening part comes in. I reasoned with myself that I was listening to my body and trying to give it what it really needed which was a little break rather than a day full of exhaustion. After lying in bed for about half an hour and not being able to sleep I gave up on the nap notion and formulated a new plan.

The time was now about 10am, with spin class scheduled to start at 10:30. I could grab a quick snack and get out the door in time to spin, but more than spinning I really wanted to log 4 miles today. The rain had stopped so my outdoor mileage was now back on the agenda.

I made it to the track, stretched, and began walking at 10:40. I had one hour until I needed to get inside to prepare for my aqua class. After 3 miles of walking it was now 11:25. I didn't have quite enough time to walk another mile, finish more stretching, and get to class on time. But I really, really wanted that fourth mile. So I made my mind up to jog/walk that last mile. I haven't really jogged in months due to the previously mentioned foot/knee/hip problems, but I gave it a shot today and finished the mile in 11 minutes. A few minutes to stretch, my laps were complete, and I was off to aqua.

Such is my crazy life. Gotta keep flexible, right? We're all livin' la vida loco. Better enjoy the ride.

No comments: