Wednesday, August 20, 2008

School is going to be the death of me

I know there are parents out there who relish sending their kids back to school because it frees up their day and gives them more time to themselves. Truthfully, I'd like to meet 'these parents' and find out if they're full of hogwash or not. My life has never simplified when school is back in session.

Never.

It's as if I'm back in school in a way. One challenge comes from helping my first-grader, who has never had homework before, get used to doing daily homework. This is so new to Bethany that she's been quite the little pain in the rear about doing it. She whines about it, or just gets irritated that she's having to do it, or gets lazy and would rather squirm or try to defy me. I'm doing my best to set the tone that schoolwork is non-negotiable and whining will not be tolerated. She has already lost certain priveledges over the homework battle so I'm hoping that the worst is over. But it ain't no picnic for either of us even on the best of days.

Then we have Morgan, my dear Morgan. I spend an enormous amount of time every day asking her questions about what homework she has, whether the books are being brought home, reading through her agenda to know what teachers assigned what, trying to keep her focused during the acutal homework, and then reviewing her schoolwork for accuracy. Middle school is a hellacious change from elementary school and poor Morgan and I are still trying to adjust.

From the time they get home from school we are so busy with after-school snacks and talking about the day, and then getting the homework done, that dinnertime rolls around so quickly and following that is bath and bedtime in order to start the whole process tomorrow. My goodness, I hardly get to just be with my children anymore.

Cuddling on the couch, laughing at a joke, reading a great book together, smiling in secrecy, just being with the girls...I think I actually learn more in those moments that I ever did in school.

No comments: