Thursday, November 15, 2007

A giggle to share


I'm at a loss for something really inspirational to write about today. I've sat at the computer for a while now trying to think of what topic to bring up this morning and I just can't come up with anything that suits my mood or my emotions. I guess that says I'm on a pretty even keel today, doesn't it? When there's no news that must be good news, eh?


So, for lack of anything more profound to talk about, I'll share a little funny story about Bethany since she hasn't made much of an appearance in my blog yet. I've shared this story with my parents and James, so if you three are reading this, enjoy the repeat chuckle.


Just a smidgen of background info: My Dad is quite the builder. Those of you that don't know him need to know this info for the story to make sense. Dad builds everything you can imagine from toy boxes for the kids to a gazebo in my parents' backyard to a sunroom addition to their home. It goes without saying that he's got a L-O-T of tools. 'Nuff said.


A few weeks ago the girls and I were eating dinner at the table and for some reason the converstation turned to fire and what to do if a fire starts in our home. It might've been fire prevention week at school, I don't really know. But anyway, I started quizzing the girls on what they would do if a fire were in our home, checking to see if they knew how to escape the house and not to diddle-dally around, just get out! I'm trying to be very thorough and matter-of-fact, covering all my bases with them, very business-like at the table. Morgan handles the questions pretty well. Then it's onto Bethy....


She does fairly well with the easy questions, like going out the front door if the fire were in the back of the house, or going out the back if the fire were in front. But then I ask her what she would do if the fire were at the front of the house and she couldn't get the back door to open. She says she would break a window. I asked her how she'd break the window to free herself. She said she'd have to go get a hammer. I ask her where she'll find the hammer if the fire is in the front of the house and we keep the hammer/nails/tools/etc in a closet in the front. She said, "I'd go to Papa's to get a hammer."


??????


That's my Bethy. Without even meaning to she can make me giggle and smile. She just plain makes my heart happy.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Hey, it makes sense to the child's brain - where else would you find a hammer, than Papa's toolbox??

Precious - I love it!

Is that Bethany in the picture? It looks so much like Morgan - they both have grown so much since I saw the 3 of you last!

P.S., can Papa come to my house? We've got projects that would keep him busy for quite a while! :)