Thursday, November 22, 2007

It was a Happy Thanksgiving after all

No matter how many holidays and special occasions are spent apart I never seem to get used to James' absence on those such days. Today was another one of the many holidays we've spent apart, so many so that we've long since quit counting how many he's missed. Sadly, it's probably easier to count the occasions he's been home for since that number would be smaller.

But I digress....

I woke this morning in a somewhat lousy mood. The day just had that feel to it, that feeling of something not quite right, but nothing really wrong. I just didn't look forward to today. Had James been here we would've had a big meal to fix full of some of his favorites, including the sweet potato casserole that he used to turn up his nose to but has since grown to love, making him an honorary Unland after all! With him not home I didn't feel in the spirit to go all out.

A friend of mine, whose husband is also deployed, came over to my house and we fixed a meal together for our children. It was a relaxing day and much better spent with friends that alone. For that I am thankful. I'm so glad I have a battle buddy to help me through this deployment. Teresa has been a lifesaver for me. She was my battle buddy in 2005 when her husband and James were deployed together, and she's here for me now, too. She's my outlet for venting on anything and everything. She's my children's babysitter, God Bless Her, nearly every Saturday morning so I can teach my class. She's my friend with whom I can share some adult conversation when I need a break from children's talk. She's my wake up call when I need someone to tell it to me straight. She's my friend and that's all there is to it.

So tonight I give thanks to God for so many blessings. I thank Him for the love I have in my family. I thank Him for continuing to send His angels to watch over James. I thank Him for all the amazing blessings He has given me~~my home, my possessions, my health, my life.

And I thank Him for the friends that see me through the good and bad times. We all need 'em, and I thank God that He saw to it to give me a good one.

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

No comments: