Sunday, November 18, 2007

Obsessed or Just in Love?


What does this say about me as a mother? Am I obsessed with my girls or just a mother in love with being a mother? You tell me....


Yesterday was a Mom's Day Out here on post. Our post childcare facility opens up once a month for a day of free childcare for spouses of deployed soldiers. I've taken my girls to the Mom's Night Out service before so I could have dinner out with friends, but I've never utilized the Day Out program. I decided to give it a try this month so I could get some Christmas shopping done without little eyes nearby.


I dropped the girls off at 9 am and then went off to the gym to teach my 9:30 class. I was finished and home by 11am. I cleaned up with a shower, ate a quick bite, and then was off for my shopping by noon or a few minutes after.


I immediately had second thoughts about going out by myself. A part of me wanted to go pick up Morgan and take her out with me, just the two of us, so she could have some alone time with me. But then I wouldn't be able to buy any of her gifts with her around. I figured I'd just go on alone and do what needed done.


I was able to make a good dent in my shopping list and to be truthful the shopping does go much quicker and easier when you're not fumbling with seat belting kids in and out, holding hands crossing the parking lot, fidgeting with all the knick-knacks little hands tend to grab, and trying to steer the kids away from the toy aisle after they've spent too long there already. It truly is exhausting shopping with both kids in tow. So why did I miss them so much?


I can't really explain it but the whole day I just wanted to hurry up and get back to them. I wasn't worried about them being at the childcare facility. That wasn't it. I knew they were having a great time. It was just me. I wanted to be near them. I just like them so much. Isn't that something? Of course we all love our kids. We love them with our whole hearts. We love them so much it hurts. But how wonderful is it to be able to say we actually like them, too?


I love you girls, Morgan and Bethany. And what's more, I really, really like you, too. I like who you are and I like being near you and I like being your Momma.
I really like what that says about us.

No comments: