Sunday, May 11, 2008

A great Mother's Day

Even without my daughters' father here to share in the day, it still turned out to be a great Mother's Day. I mean, really, isn't every day Mother's Day when you get to share in all the hugs and kisses from your very special angels sent from God to teach you how to be a better person?

My day began with two little voices telling me to wake up. They had slept in the living room so they could wake early and prepare a breakfast for me. I was greeted in bed by two slices of bread slathered in butter, a cut up orange, a whole apple, a huge glass of OJ, a vase of flowers (the same ones Bethy was given for her recital yesterday) and a parfait. Not just any parfait, mind you. This parfait was created by children after my sugar-addicted heart. It was layered in a glass as follows; cinnamon flavored choc. chips, semi-sweet choc. chips, sprinkles, cinnamon chips, choc. chips, sprinkles, and topped with thin mint cookies. Oh dear Heavens!!! What would the ladies at the gym think of this????

After enjoying what I could eat of the breakfast the girls had prepared for me we ventured downstairs where I was (finally!) greeted by an email card from James. He's still alright and his redeployment is inching ever so closer day by day.

The girls have been fantastic helpers to me all day long. I'd told them that what I wanted more than anything today was lots of help getting the house in order for Daddy's return. I wanted a more thorough cleaning than just our normal weekend tidying up. Everything I've asked the girls to do they have done, not always happily and cheerfully but still willingly. We've washed all the curtains, vacuumed out the crunchies under the couch cushions, scrubbed litterboxes, chased away dustbunnies, and all kinds of other little chores that pile up when you're busy living your day to day life.

I'm not finished with all that I need to do. Goodness knows I've put off a lot today in favor of that 30 minute nap on the couch, a little TV watching (we borrowed the Indiana Jones series from the library so Morgan could see what it's all about before going to the theater with her Daddy to see the newest release once he's home), and a few other lazy moments. But together the girls and I have accomplished a lot and I feel very happy about how the day has gone.

And to top off this most wonderful day, the Survivor finale is on tonight. That means 3 hours of Survivor for me tonight. Again, another thank you to James for getting me hooked on this show. I do believe I would make a great contestant. Hmmm....maybe James will help me get a video application ready???

Tomorrow is the last Monday of the school year as the girls have the 19th off for a teacher work day, and the 26th off for Memorial Day. Maybe after tomorrow we'll only have one more link to take off our paper chain we made when James left. We made it the day after he left home. When we made it I felt like one link for every day he'd be gone would make way too long of a chain and it would feel too overwhelming. So instead we made one link for each week he'd be gone, and Monday became our day for removing each week's link as it just felt like that was the day the week started for us. So tomorrow we'll remove one link and then by the next Monday we hope to know for certain that he'll be home before another week passes. Crossing fingers.....

What a blessing each day is, and all the sweeter because someone calls me "Momma."

No comments: