Thursday, September 18, 2008

Momma's aren't allowed to be sick, are they?

What happens when the person responsible for making sure everyone in the household is fed and clothed in clean laundry, chauffeured to school and activities on time, and the all around finder-of-lost-things gets sick? Does the world come to a screeching halt? Does the laundry pile up in heaps? Do the children take a hiatus from school? Does no one get fed?

Or does the Momma carry on as best she can because she's needed and Momma's aren't allowed to take sick time.

I've been very blessed over the last few years not to get sick very often. Sure, I have all the sports injuries I've described over several posts but that's of my own making. But I've been very lucky not to get really sick over the last several years, ever since I began focusing on my health and learning to live better. But sometimes the illness just finds you.

I came down with a bout of 'it' Tuesday evening, whatever 'it' is. I'd just finished a hard workout day complete with a 4 mile run/walk, an hour aqua class, and then an hour step class. I'd been home from step class long enough to shower and get my jammies on and eat a light dinner of a veggie burger and an apple when I immediately got nauseous and had horrible stomach cramps.

The pain lasted the entire night, where I was awake so much I was just praying for daylight so the night would end. I still had the trouble all day yesterday, barely able to do much at all with the peeps in my circuit class. Today I'm feeling some better but the discomfort is still present.

I'm not sure what brought it on. James first thought it might be dehydration, but I don't think the symptoms would've lasted this long if that was what it was. And I'm not throwing up so it's not a normal stomach bug or the flu. My best guess is it is an irritation in the lining of my stomach (possible ulcer???) from ibuprofen usage. My podiatrist had had me taking the stuff daily for months to help with the foot pain but when I began complaining to him of stomach pain a few months ago he took me off it, concerned I was developing ulcer issues. I hadn't taken the stuff since except for maybe a couple times for knee pain or whatnot. But Tuesday afternoon I'd taken one dose of it to combat some aches I was having that day. Maybe it was just enough to irritate my tummy all over again and bring on the pain. Who knows?

What I do know is that our world didn't stop here and that's because I've got a good man for a husband who took care of me while I was ill. He was truly worried about me as I lay moaning in pain on the bathroom floor in the middle of the night. He asked about me countless times yesterday to see if I was doing better. He helped out when I needed him and really made me feel cared for and loved.

You know how when you're a child and you're sick you just want your Mommy to take care of you? Well, this Momma is truly grateful that I had my daughters' Daddy taking care of me. Thank you babe.

You make one great Baby Daddy!

No comments: