Friday, September 26, 2008

My Playlist

A few posts ago I rambled on about how the songs I was listening to while running helped motivate me on my journey. I mentioned how much music touches me and speaks to my heart. But what do the songs on my blog's playlist mean to me? Why are they important? What makes them so special? I thought I'd use this post to share with you why I love these particular songs the way I do.

Kokomo by the Beach Boys--Nothing too deep here. I love the upbeat sound of the song, the beach-y theme, and it's from one of my favorite movies Cocktail. Just good fun.

Little Wonders by Rob Thomas--I adore the message in this song about how the real beauty in life is in the little moments, the every day stuff. It's in those moments that you really do your living and loving.

No Place That Far by Sara Evans--I used to sing this song to Morgan as a baby, telling her with every lyric that I would go to the ends of the Earth for her, because even that would not be too far. Love has no limits.

I Swear by John Michael Montgomery--This song was quite popular on country radio back in 1994. James and I chose it for our wedding song but it was so new to radio at the time that we couldn't find sheet music for it for our pianist and singers to sing at the wedding. We chose a different song for the actual ceremony but had this song for our first dance. We still consider it "our song" and sometimes reference it in notes to each other, such as "I love you, I swear."

The Search Is Over by Survivor--What a great, classic 80's song! And what a beautiful story about finding that one special person who was there all along. It just takes opening your eyes to see what is right under your nose.

I Would've Loved You Anyway by Trisha Yearwood--Amazing song sung by an extremely powerful voice. What an unbelievable message about loving someone so completely despite the tragic ending. Isn't that a lesson for us all? Love with all you have and to the fullest. The message in this song has always reminded me of the Poison song Every Rose Has Its Thorn when the verse says, "It's better to have lost at love than never to have loved at all." Amen to that.

I Loved Her First by Heartland--No doubt about it, for any future son-in-law of mine, don't ever doubt that I loved these girls long before they took their first breath, long before you came into their orbit. I will forever look out for them and do my best to protect them, and without any question I will forever love them. Hold her heart gently. I'll be watching.

Above the Clouds
by Amber--This is a more recent song I stumbled across and found I truly enjoy. I think what gets me most about this song is when it talks about "If we had known it would be so hard would we have set out on this road together?" Isn't that so true? A weaker person might walk away before things get tough. But for those that are willing to stick it out and risk it all, well, the payoff is magnificent!

That's My Job by Conway Twitty--Again, I like a song that speaks to me, that has a message, that pulls at my heart. This one delivers all that. It reminds me of my own Dad. It's kind of his motto with me whether I ask him to build a toybox for the girls or whatever, he'll oftentimes answer, "That's my job." This was the 2nd song I had played at James and my wedding, for the father-daughter dance. It will always hold a special place in my heart, even more so now that I'm a parent. Taking care of my girls, that's my job.

I Can Only Imagine by MercyMe--It's impossible to know and humbling to imagine what that moment will be like when we meet Jesus. We truly can only imagine.

Lady in Red by Chris de Burgh--Another fantastic 80's tune. I melt when I hear this. Maybe it's the woman in me that wants to be swept off her feet, I'm not sure. I just know when he sings, "when you turned to me and smiled, it took my breath away, I have never had such a feeling, such a feeling of complete and utter love" I swoon. What woman wouldn't?

I'll Stand By You by the Pretenders--I love this song! Carrie Underwood remade it recently and her version is just as lovely as the original. I adore the message about standing by your loved one no matter what. My favorite parts of this song are "Nothing you confess could make me love you less" and "When you're standing at a crossroads and don't know which path to choose, let me come along cause even if you're wrong I'll stand by you." Ahhhh....

Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton--Oh, to tell a woman how beautiful and wonderful she is...how could she not fall in love with you? Nice.

Good Riddance by Green Day--I've really liked this song since I first heard it on the final episode of Seinfeld. Excellent message about hoping you lived each day to the fullest. I hope all of you are having the time of your lives.

Nobody Loves Me Like You Do by Whitney Houston--This ended up being the song that was sung at our wedding when we couldn't find the sheet music to our first choice of songs. I'd always liked this song since Whitney Houston sang it on my soap opera back in the early or mid 80's for a soap marriage. Yep, that's right. I'm such a sucker for a sappy song that when I heard this ballad as a young girl of probably no more than ten years old it made such an impression on me that nearly ten years later I would use it at my own wedding. And you all wonder what good comes from watching a soap opera all these years???

Forrest Gump music--There's not much to say about this except it is one of James' and my favorite movies. Hearing this melody reminds me of all the good times we've spent watching this movie, over and over. We've shared tears, we've shared laughs, we've loved it all, and we're sharing the film with our girls. It's really an awesome flick, isn't it?

Faithfully by Journey--This song has always been a good song in my opinion, but it wasn't until fairly recently that I really decided it was speaking to me. During the summer of 2007, with James deployed to Iraq, the girls and I took a road trip to Disney World. On that drive I pulled out a cd that James had in the car, a mix of tunes he'd made and left in there for who knows how long. I popped it in the player expecting a lot of metal and hard rock, the kind of stuff he loves. I was surprised to find this song in his mix and really listened to the words. When it talks about being away from home so much, and "being apart ain't easy on this love affair" I realized how much the lyrics resonated with our situation. Now it is in my list of favorite love songs.

Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers--For those of us that grew up in the 80's we know this song from the movie Ghost. It's as synonymous with that movie as is "Ditto." Those of you who love this film like I do know what I mean. It's probably the melody of the song I love most. It's very soothing and makes me feel like slow-dancin'.

After All These Years by Journey--My newest favorite song! I love everything, EVERYTHING, about this song. The words seem like they were written for James and I, about our time apart, our children growing up, overcoming our hardships. It's a fabulous song that I haven't tired of hearing yet.

My Little Girl by Tim McGraw--My girls are growing up on me and sometimes it breaks my heart to think how their baby days are long gone. But they are amazing young girls and will be incredible little women. I am as much in love with them as any mother possibly could be. No matter how grown they become, they will always remain my little girls. And I will love them forever, for always, no matter what.

Through The Years by Kenny Rogers--I picture James and I as old people in this song, rocking in our rockin' chairs and as gray as gray can be. And I picture us sittin' side by side holding hands, happy to have been with each other through all these years. And if he wants to sing me this song that'll be just fine and dandy with me!

Ready, Set, Don't Go by Billy Ray Cyrus--This song is for every parent who has a child growing up much quicker than the parent would like. Get ready, get set, please don't go....oh yeah, I completely get that! When the time comes, will I be ready to let my girls go? I'm quite certain my heart won't be, but I know I will have to let them fly and soar where their hearts need to go. I can't and won't hold them back. I'll help them find their wings and I'll cheer for them as they spread those wings to take flight. But I won't promise not to cry. My heart will surely be as broken into bits as it will be bursting with pride.

So there you have it, an explanation of all the songs on my blog and why they mean what they do to me. And with all that you have probably come to know me a little better, too.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I enjoyed reading about your playlist...isn't it great to have an MP3 player full of such inspirational songs??